Answers to the most common questions Winnie is asked. Please feel free to contact her anytime for further details or information

Q1. What do we need to do to get married?

A. This is a fabulous document that will help you work out what you need to do legally:


Q2. What do I have to say in the marriage ceremony?

A. This is also covered in the document above- basically for a marriage ceremony, each party must say the words “I AB (full name), take you CD, to be my legal wife/husband/partner” – or words to similar effect.

For a civil union ceremony, each party must make a clear statement to the other that names both parties and acknowledges that they are freely joining in a civil union with each other.

The full names of the bride, bridegroom or partner – as they appear on the licence – must be used at some point in the ceremony to clearly identify each party. Abbreviations and nicknames may then be used in other parts of the ceremony.

Q3. Who gets the marriage documents and when do you have to do this?

A. This is a really key question!! YOU have to apply to the Department of Internal Affairs for the Marriage licence and the documents that will be signed at the ceremony by yourselves, the two witnesses and the celebrant. You can find the form online –either the ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ or ‘Notice of Intended Civil Union’ form, which includes a statutory declaration that both parties are free to marry or enter into a civil union with each other and that all the details supplied on the form are correct.


You need to apply at least three days, and not more than three months, before the ceremony. One of the parties must appear before the Registrar in person to sign the statutory declaration. You will need to know the celebrant’s full name, the venue details and a back up for a wet day if it’s planned to be outside.

Q4. What if we currently live outside NZ but want to get married in NZ?

A. Look at the link below:


Email winnie@lifecelebrant.co.nz
Phone 04 938 7793
Mobile 021 071 1257